Sunday, July 26, 2009

NYC pt. 3




By Monday we were out of money, so we opted for the free entertaiment.  Brooklyn Bridge ( free).  We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge.  It started out kind of disappointing, but by the time you got to the middle, it was pretty cool, I guess.  On the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge is a delightful pizza place "Grimaldi's"  We only had to wait in line for 45 minutes this time, but very tastey.  Afterwards, a walk down to the water where there is a fantastic view of the NY skyline, and a nice cold ice cream cone (which I would regret later...keep reading).  On the way back across the bridge I did encounter some difficulties.  We got about half way across the bridge, and my lactose set in ( I don't think I am really lactose intolerant, but I would image that the results would be similar).  I couldn't continue, each step I took, it got worse.  I was in a major pickle.  No bathroom in sight.  Literally, even when I would be getting off the  bridge, there are NO ( other than starbucks) public restrooms in NY.  I learned this quickly, to always make mental note of the nearest starbucks incase tragedy struck.  Anywho, you can see my dilemma.  If I stopped walking and sat down, it would momentarily subside, but the second I stood back up, it would be worse than before I sat down.  Starbucks seemed like a world away.  What was a girl to do.  I started panicking, sweating, I WAS NOT going to make it.  I started making plans of Jed going to the store to buy me new pants, but I liked these pants, they were just starting to grow on me.  What pants would i have him buy?  If I am going to buy new jeans in NY they better be good ones.  Not now, I have to focus!  Bathroom, where are you!  At this moment, I started to cry.  Nothing could be worse than the situation I was in right then.  Then I had a brilliant idea.  "Jed you have to carry me half way across the Brooklyn Bridge and to a Starbucks.  And not just carry me, RUN."  So that is exactly what the best husband in the world would do and did.  I jumped on Jed's back and he ran me and our two bags, to the nearest starbucks.  I wish upon a star I had a picture of that.  We were a sight to behold.  After the longest 5 minutes of my life, we made it to the starbucks.  Low and behold there were 10 people in line to use the restroom.  I offered each of those 10, cold cash to let me butt in line.  Turns out New Yorkers are nicer than you think.  They let me butt, and wouldn't take the $$.  They found my misfortune comical.  Whatever.....  I will always remember the strawberry banana smoothie at starbucks to be the best and most relaxing beverage I will ever consume.  And that is the end of that story.    

A little boring after thought:  We checked out Grand Central Station.  They are right about one thing, it is grand and it is central.  The New York Library.  Pretty cool.  We stumbled upon the Temple  in our search to get tickets to South Pacific.  Pretty cool.  We ate dinner at a super hip cafe called "Cafe Habana" in Soho, where we ate Corn Nacho Libre Style ( "Save some of that corn for me").  We retired early after an eventful day.   

Our last day we spent half the day trying to find me some shoes that didn't kill my feet, checked out  Greenich Village, and shopped at Century 21 (Ross times 2000).  It was too overwhelming,  Jed and I both were going crazy after 10 minutes.  But some serious deals for all you bargain shoppers.  Off to JFK and home sweet home.  




















  

3 comments:

{Layla} said...

oh my goodness, it looks like you had so much fun in NYC. You did exactly what I recommended--just to wonder around and stumble upon different things to do and places to eat--that is the best way to do NYC. So sorry, I never emailed you--either I didn't see your comment or if I did I couldn't remember it--until it was too late. BOO! But it looks like you had a fabulous time, and seriously that is the way to do NYC. If you try to plan everything out, it takes the fun out of it. I am SO glad you go to walk the brooklyn bridge and go to grimaldis (see I always cheated, I would only walk half the bridge). Grimaldis is our FAVORITE! You poor thing with the ice cream incident--I know how you feel, I am lactose intolerant. That must have been terrible. But there always needs to be a crazy experience in NYC that later turns into a funny experience! Did you end up seeing south pacific? I'm jealous--I have wanted to see that for some time now! Also I must say you look lovely in your pictures and I LOVE your shirt! =)

Ashley said...

Your story was hilarious! I was totally feeling your pain though...been there done that but not quite in those circumstances...Glad you had such a great time. You look so cute as always!!

Mortons Love said...

Wow, where to start... It looks like a blast! great pictures! and your pee story was pretty funny. I love that you offered strangers cash! fun, fun, funny.